Friday, September 6, 2013

A reference to Syria

I think this post from The People's View is a good read on Syria. (http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2013/09/spend-money-at-home-instead-and-theres.html?m=1)

I'm generally against war and the suffering it brings. But I'm not a pacifist. Military force can be justified when there is a defined reason and a stated outcome. 

The 2003 Iraq war did not have either of those. It was completely open-ended and there was no clear mission. Afghanistan slowly slid into an endless morass without a clear outcome. 

Intervention in Syria is not the same. We began with a clear rationale backed by evidence from the international community with a clear and limited goal. Punish the use of nonconventional and heinous weapons. 

I respect and appreciate the liberal opposition to intervention in Syria and I believe it's completely valid. 

As for myself, I've come to the conclusion that there must be consequences for the use of weapons that target combatants, innocents, women, and children indiscriminately with unimaginable pain and suffering. 


No comments:

Post a Comment